Stan Genadek is no stranger to focus. He tells us about rebranding his excavating and landscaping company–moving from a multi-million dollar we’ll-do-everything business to a more efficient specialty company. It’s all about focus!
Being the Jack-of-all-trades, Master of two. In Stan’s industry that’s filled with tradesmen and craftsmen, you have to be able to do just about everything. The key to being successful is focusing on two areas and dominating them.
Choose one super niche service that few people know exist and become the go-to company for that service. The second service should be from a broader category that more people know about. Stan’s business, Genadek Landscaping and Excavation, Inc., focuses on pool demolition and high-end retaining wall construction.
- Get incorporated (LLC or Inc.)
- Borrow Credibility
- Become a member of the Better Business Bureau. Use the logo!
- Join the local Chamber of Commerce
- Become a member of Angie’s List (negotiate!)
- Build a quality website
- Don’t overthink your company name. Make sure it doesn’t get confused with everyone else
- Use consistent branding. Your name and logo should look the same everywhere (website, vehicle signage, business cards, social media). Consistent colors and fonts.
- Show up with a clean vehicle–ditch the “rusted out old junker”
- Learn to dress appropriately. Have a company shirt (polo or t-shirt)
Social media is a great way to show your before and after work and give advice to your audience. For a landscape business professional, consider these platforms:
- Facebook (create a business page)
- Google+ (at least build a page to control your local listing in Google search)
Landscape Business Pro Podcast
Even if you’re not in the landscaping and excavation business, you need to check out Stan’s podcast. He doesn’t talk about equipment or techniques–this show is about running a business and his guests are amazing!
About Stan Genadek
Stan grew up in the country and has been working in the excavation and landscaping Industry since he was 13. Don’t tell the Dept. of Labor.
He moved to the Twin Cities Metropolitan area and paid his way through college-the only way he knew how — by running a landscaping crew.
Stan quickly Built this up from nothing into one of the largest speciality companies in the Midwest, and has now refocused his energy into helping others do the same.
Stan is a fellow podcaster, he runs the Landscape Business Pro Podcast- a program dedicated to finding experts from around the world and bringing their knowledge to help contractors everywhere Build a Better Business.
Connect with Stan
I’d love to hear what you thought of this episode and what YOU are doing with your Digital Marketing Strategy. Leave a comment below to keep the conversation going! Reviews mean the world to this podcast. The more reviews and high ratings we get, the more likely we are to appear higher in the search results on iTunes and Stitcher. They also help me to improve the podcast because I read every one. Leave your review today! If you have a question that you would like answered on the podcast, head over to my Listeners’ Questions page. Be sure to tell me the name of your website or blog so it can be mentioned on air. Thank you for all of the prayers, love and support!